Today's post is a tip for masking while Stamping Off. And I'm going to show the tip along with my mistake so you'll know what to avoid.
First - the definition of the word mask. You put on a mask (like during Mardi Gras) to hide your face. In stamping that's what a mask is used for, to hide something.
The Masking comes in here: For this card I wanted a clean sharp edge separating the flower side of the card from the area where the butterflies would go. I didn't want any flowers or leaves sticking out from under the right side of the ribbon. So I used a post-a-note as seen in the image below to create the edge.
Now, here's the mistake I made. Can you see the odd, straight dark areas on several of the flowers. Thats because when I stamped that first dark image on the EDGE of the white paper, the pressure was different and it lost more ink on one side than the other. Which made for the odd line when I stamped again without re-inking.
So, how to avoid this? when you want those lighter images, just "stamp off" the first dark image on a scrap piece of paper and then do your lighter image on the project.
- You can see a few more versions of this card here on an earlier post. You might even spot a few mistakes on them.
- This seashell card shows another way to use masking and includes a video showing how its done
- Or skip right to the masking video
Are you local to the Madison/Stoughton/Dane County area? Do you like learning tips and tricks for stamping? Would you like to meet some other local stampers?
- Check out my events calendar and join us for a class. Bring a friend with you. Stamping is a fun social experience.
- I also do private classes for you and your friends. And it doesn't matter at all whether your friends are stampers or not. You enjoy it, right? That's why you're here. Together we'll create an event where your non-stamper friends fall in love with the hobby just like you have. Contact me to arrange an event.
Oops I forgot to mention that the stamp set used on this project is called Bloomin Marvelous and its one of the exclusive Sale-a-bration sets for 2013. And there's only 4 days left of Sale-a-Bration!!
Sale-a-bration ENDS FRIDAY . . . . . . . . . Don't miss out on this once-a-year Sale.